View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cally930 View Post
I know that everyone's guarantees are different - and I'm not asking that. I am asking "What should the guarantee say". What should people be looking for in a health guarantee. Is it one year, two year, three year. And what should the cost responsibility be to the breeder.

If, let's say you purchase the puppy for $2,000; it is diagnosed with a liver shunt; vets, tests, surgery amounts to $3,000. What should the breeder be responsible for.
The surgeries you are talking about generally are for issues that breeders *should* make an effort to screen for beforehand. It *should* be the case that the breeder has done everything possible--knowing the histories of their lines and doing proper testing--to ensure that they are not breeding dogs that are passing on these issues.

With that being said, IF that is done, and the situation still arises, IMO a breeder *should* be responsible for medical costs up to the purchase price of the dog.
The exception, IMO, would be for LP on a case by case basis. LP can be inherited, or it can be the result of an injury. Generally the instances where it is from injury, it's a low grade diagnosis. When it's inherited and surgery is needed, it's typically higher. Most of the time, the cause--genetics vs inherited--can be determined with xrays. I don't think the breeder should be responsible for the issue if it is a result of injury, obviously.
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!