View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
gaijingirl
YT Addict

Question Anyone with a dog on Tylosin (Tylan)?

Snickers is taking 30 mg of Tylosin, twice a day, for chronic digestive problems. (He was diagnosed last month with Clostridial overgrowth found positive for endotoxin).

He'll be on it for at least 6 months...or longer if he needs to be....possibly lifelong. When I got his first prescription, my vet told me they didn't even have a way to measure out the correct dosage for a dog his size. I ended up having to take the powder my vet sold me to a local compounding pharmacy to get it measured and compounded into the right amount. And even when I hide it in food, Snickers just spits out the capsules they put it in...So, I just empty it into his food anyway and mix it in really well.

The total cost of the medication plus compounding for one month is $46.50. If he is going to have to stay on this long term, I REALLY would like to find cheaper place to get it. (Seriously, he's also got a probiotic that's $30/month, Denamarin is around $30 a month...then there is heart worm preventatives, etc,.....and I thought my meds were expensive! This is just for all 4lbs of a dog, you'd think if he didn't need much it wouldn't cost much, right? haha. Yeah, right.)

Anyway, does anyone have a dog currently on Tylosin who is getting their dosages somewhere for cheaper? I don't care if it is compounded with the flavored fillers or not...he'll eat it if I put it in his food without it. I just need to find some way to get the 30mg dose. Any suggestions on where to get it or a different way to give it to him rather than an expensive compounded capsule? (Cheap compounded capsules are ok. )I thought I had once read something about it coming in an oil form...but I couldn't find much about that.
gaijingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!