View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighc View Post
Hello! My name is Leigh and I am new to the forum. I am looking for a show quality but maybe slightly smaller as a pet for my home. I have been doing a lot of research and want to buy from a reputable breeder. I would like the silky coat blue tan. Any helpmwould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Leigh
Well I would attend some of your local shows, you can look for these shows on the AKC website www.akc.org, go to the events search, and click on ohio, and a list of the shows held in Ohio will come up for the next 365 days. Pick the ones that are relatively near to you, and then about 10 days before show date, go to the www.infodog.com website and look at the judging schedule, this will tell you how many yorkies are entered in the competition over that show period.

Another good opportunity is if your city/town, has a meet the breed weekend and or day, and you can go and talk to various breeders of YT's.

As another poster suggested, show quality can not be determined to any degree of certainly until about 6mths, at the most when they are young you have a show prospect.

If you are not interested in showing the dog, I'd make that clear to any prospective breeder. If what you really are asking for is a beautiful example of the breed that is healthy, typey, with proper coat and color, then make that clear. Also in terms of size, at best there are only guesstimates of what the adult Yorkie will weigh. Nobody can guarantee a specific weight when a pup is only 12 wks old.

One of the good things about meeting the breeders in person is you get to see and meet their dogs, and have a chance to assess the temperament of sire and or dam.

Finally you might want to consider rescues, that may have older pups or young adults ready for a good loving home.

Best of luck with your search and Welcome
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!