View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
princessizzy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Withholding water... I don't think that's cruel. Jackson has no access to water from bedtime-morning. And it's essential in potty training to know when your pup is eating or drinking.

However, your form of punishing IS borderline cruel. I would NEVER swat at my dog, ever. You may think he understands... but typically this method only makes dogs scared of you and more willing to HIDE where they are going and find places you will never find. I've also heard of dogs being afraid to potty in general because they associate the act of going potty with the yelling and swatting. Ignore the accidents. Dogs don't rationalize or think like humans... they have no idea what they have done wrong. Now, when I would CATCH Jackson in the act of pottying, I would simply say 'no' (firm but not mean) and bring him outside... but if he pottyed, and I didn't catch it while it was happening, you simply ignore it. They will have no idea what you are yelling for.

You also don't want to make the crate a bad place. My step-dad made this mistake with their dog and she ended up being terrible about getting in her crate... and would run, etc. It's supposed to be a positive place to go.
I agree...Good post...took the words right out of my mouth
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!