View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Samiebaby
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Very sick doggie

Hi everyone,

We just spent the night in the OSU Medical Center Vet. ER, came home, and went back this morning. Doctor's don't know what is going on, so we have to make an appointment with the internal medicine department Monday. Just here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar...

To start, Maggie is 5 years old. She has never had any major medical issues besides a dental surgery to remove teeth and the occasional sensitive trachea (what yorkies don't experience that?). She was acting completely normal as of Thursday, so this is a very acute issue.

Maggie started acting strange yesterday. Lethargic and not clingy like usual. In fact, she was sleeping on the floor a lot instead of on the couch with us. Our other Yorkie, Max, was sniffing her relentlessly and we knew something was up.

Nothing stood out as REALLY wrong besides the lethargy (and the uncertainty of whether she had been eating that day), so we waited it out. About 1030pm I was already in bed and my boyfriend brought the dogs in from the last trip outside of the night. He woke me up and told me something was wrong with her neck. I looked and it was puffy, lumpy, and red. Looking back on the day, she was scratching a lot. I'm posting a picture of it (after shaved at the ER) so you know the severity of it. When I say lumpy.. I mean REALLY lumpy and scary.

We took her in and they ran blood tests, biopsied the lump, and took x-rays of her abdomen (they said she was guarding during palpation). She had a fever of 104.5 (which you all know is really high), but the blood work and biopsies came back normal. They chalked the lumpy, itchy neck up to "irritation" and then informed me they are concerned about the x-ray. Apparently, her spleen is enlarged. SO, we were told to take her home and get some rest and make an appointment Money with Internal Medicine department to figure out the spleen situation.

We didn't get home until around 4am and by 1130am, we were on our way back to the ER. She was MISERABLE and puking with diarrhea. She still wouldn't eat, either.

I took a stool sample in this time. After examination, they said her temp. was back within normal limits and her stool came back normal. They said they would either prescribe her meds to treat her symptoms (antibiotics, anti-nausea, and something for the "skin irriation") and I could take her home or they could admit her overnight and have internal look at her in the morning.

Clearly, I'm not a millionaire, so we took her home. They assured us she's completely stable but should be seen this week to figure out what's up with her spleen.

Oh, I forgot to mention they shaved her "irritated" area to make her more comfortable.

Any thoughts? The doctors didn't have any answers for me and couldn't pinpoint what was causing the fever. I know you guys aren't doctors, but we've all experienced different issues, so I figured I'd see if any of you have had something similar happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maggie's Neck.jpg (67.8 KB, 153 views)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!