Thread: Ear infection.
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Rachael x
Poppy's Mamma ♥
Donating Member

Default Ear infection.

Okay so a few weeks ago I noticed Poppy was scratching her ears alot, scratching them until she cried.
I looked inside and couldnt see anything out of the ordinary, I cleaned them just incase they were waxy but that didnt help so I took her to the vet.
The vet said she had quite a nasty ear infection in her left ear.
Inside the ear was red and sore looking, there was lots of wax and dry blood.
Obviously the ear cleaning stuff I have wasnt good enough to budge the wax so I will have to look into getting another one.
Anyway the vet gave her a weeks course of ear drops and it seemed to clear up, she went back to the vet when the week was up and the vet said her ears look better now but to bring her back if she started scratching or shaking her head again.
Well yesterday I noticed her shaking her head again and scratching her other ear until she cried.
There was a free vet check-up at my local pet store today so I thought I would take her there before I made an appointment with the vet I usually use.
The vet at the free check up said her ears could do with a clean but it didnt look like there was any infection there.
But Im not sure.. she is STILL scratching until she cries and I just dont think thats because of wax, could I be wrong?
The same free vet check up is on again tomorrow so I am going to go along and if it is a different vet I will get a second opinion.
If they still say they are fine and the scratching and shaking dosnt stop then I will take her back to my origional vet.
I still have some more of the ear drops but I dont want to just put them in her ear without the vets say so, do you think I should?
Im really worried because as ive mentioned in the past, the family I got her from have a rottweiler with a really bad ear infection who needs an operation.
And im so worried that the same will happen to Poppy, I assume that they didnt take the rottweiler to the vet when the infection first set in and have left it to get bad enough for an operation but im not sure, I know nothing about ear infections in dogs.
Do you think its okay to put the ear drops in her other ear or should I wait to see what my origional vet says?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!