View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #165
lisaly
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
I use cream cheese. It hides any bitter taste and it coats the pill really well. Then when they start to eat it the thickness of the cream cheese sticks to the pills and hides any nasty pill taste. When I need to give a pill they would all line up like it was a treat so everyone would get a little. Mine always would eat the cheese and spit out the pill
Cream cheese worked for me for a while with Ashley. I had to use it when I could only get the capsules, and I would mix the powder in the center of the cheese and rolled it into a ball. After a while, that didn't work, either. When we were desperate (but we hated to do it this way), we put the powder in a syringe and filled it with water and slowly put it into her mouth. It tastes awful though, so we only did it that way if we exhausted all other options. Ashley loved broccoli with cheese sauce, and I gave her pills with that. She probably would have liked Cheese Wiz. It's amazing how good they are at eating around pills and spitting them out. We would watch Ashley for a while after we gave her pills, but still we would find them hours later sometimes, especially when she took herbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
I said 'bit of cheese' earlier, but actually it's a bit of Cheez Whiz. Alex loves it and I think it works a lot like the cream cheese - it sticks to the pills and also makes it harder for him to spit out. I've used this method for years, starting when Becca was first put on thyroid meds, and I've still been using it to give glucosamine to Alex every day. It always works for Alex and it's so easy to control the amount I give him. I just thought maybe since the Rimadyl was chewable and liver flavored he'd like to have it as a separate little treat, but he didn't go for that.
Ashley took 1/4 tablet of Deramaxx each day, and she wouldn't chew those either.

[/quote]I'm gonna stick with the Cheez Whiz for his pills. He's used to it, I'm used to it and it works for us. Besides, he still has to take the Anipryl and glucosamine daily and it's so easy to just mush them all into a little mound of the cheese stuff.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
Awwww, thank you both!! I may be just a bit biased, but I think he's pretty handsome, too.

You make so many great points here. Thank you for expressing my own feelings so well.

I'm not sure what to say about Peek A Boo. Since he normally walks with friends, maybe he just had more time to do a little exploring? Or maybe like you said, he didn't have the distraction and got a little bored? From what I've seen with Alexander, the OCD made him less interested in things. He quit sniffing, exploring and venturing into new territory. I know that each pup is different, but Peek A Boo's doesn't sound like OCD behavior to me. I'm sending prayers and gentle huggins for him.
I agree, Bonny. When Ashley was taking Anipryl, I got so excited one day when I realized that she was sniffing around a lot on her walks again. Before that, she would just want to walk and walk. If we stopped to talk to people, she cried, unless it was someone she really knew. Before she had dementia, she loved seeing people of all ages, and her body would wiggle non-stop when she saw a small child or baby because she loved them so much.

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .

Last edited by lisaly; 09-22-2010 at 01:44 AM.
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!