Thread: Biewer question
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
GreenwoodBiewer
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcmsw View Post
Thanks for explaining that. Sorry I didn't realize the biewer was considered "not a Yorkie" --- I read some posts on that, but then other contradicting posts so I was unsure. Still would be interesting to know if there was subtle signs a dog was a carrier, at least for breeders who did not want that to crop up. I suppose it could pop up any time. Thanks again, all very interesting. Kendra

Some view the Biewer as a yorkie, some view it as a breed of it's own.. whatever the case, the BIEWER name is a very specific LINE of tri colored yorkies.. to be classified as a Biewer, the dogs have to trace back to Mr. Biewers lines.. other Yorkies, be they AKC or German yorkies have been added INTO the lines in the past, but in the end, eventually, the ped's need to go back to the Biewers.. Since the AKC does not at the present time recognize the Beiwers.. no Biewers will come from AKC registered yorkies.. Parti's are recognized by the AKC, they can be registered with them but not shown. You could get a Parti colored yorkie out of two AKC registered yorkies IF they both carried the white spotting gene.

As far as I know, there is no way to tell by looking at MOST carriers if they carry the gene, the traditional color is dominate and will be the color expressed. The only way to know is to look at the pedigrees and know what you are breeding. There are people selling puppies with white toes or white chests as Parti carriers.. this is not necessarily the case.. only the pedigree will tell the tale. Again, knowing what you are breeding, knowing the pedigrees, knowing your breeeder and knowing what's been produced in the past are your best tools if you are looking for a specific thing.. be it color, conformation, structure or health. There is just no substitute for a good, honest breeder.

Diana
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!