Thread: Need advise!!
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Teresamag
YT Addict

Default Eclampsia Sucks!!!

Having a momma with Eclampsia really sucks!!! (pardon my french). Once this happens to a mom they are at much higher risk to do it on subsequent pregnancies. While I haven't lost a mom to eclampsia I almost did once and it was the scariest thing I've ever seen (she had a seizure when the 5 puppies were 5 weeks old). Luckily we saved her life and hand raised all the puppies. It was alot of work but 5 weeks old was much easier than with 1 1/2 week old puppies. It also seems that small Yorkies (mine was just 5 lbs) with large litters are more susceptible to low calcium. How much does your girl weigh?
You have to weigh the pros and cons of handraising vs letting the mom nurse the puppies. Handraising is exhausting work, very time consuming, and you have to worry about work. However it will save the life of your momma. Mom raising the puppies is easier on you, cheaper, will not interfer with your work but potentially dangerous to the mom - it could kill her. If you decide to let the mom raise them you will have to be committed to feeding her many times a day foods with high amounts of calcium and watching her closely. Is there any way you could have a retired or unemployed friend or neighbor help you feed the puppies while you work?
In cases where I have to make decisions about my dogs/puppies I often go back to why am I doing this? What is best for the dogs/puppies I am responsible for? As a breeder it is my job to take care of the Yorkies the best I am able to, all my decisions about the dogs revolve around them. How would you feel if your momma died? It is the worst feeling in the world for a dog that you are responsible for to die, I would not wish that on anyone.
One last thing - please spay this girl to prevent this from happening again. Once dogs have Eclampsia in one litter they are at higher risk of it happening again, your girl has had it in two litters in a row. I would think she would have a 100% chance of this happening again, you might not be lucky enough to save her a third time.
Good luck with your puppies. I wish you the best.
Teresa
Teresamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!