View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
yorkielady06
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks_Yorkie View Post
I have been searching for a female yorkie and I found a breeder that has females that will be ready by xmas since my breeder that I got Hooks from won't have another litter for some time and I am impatient..... but moving on

The females are still young that I haven't really been able to see their personality, but she has a little boy that is 10 weeks. He is 1 lb and has a birth defect. She has had him for a longer time because he still has some trouble and she just wants him to be as healthy as possible before she will let him go to his next home. His back left leg doesn't quite touch the ground, but other than that he is fine. He has the normal problems of a small puppy of his size, but beyond that the leg is his only obstacle.

She said that she believed it happened during the birth, but wasn't quite sure since all the other puppies were all fine and she has never had a problem like this. I played with the male just for a little while she was getting the females ready for me to look at and he was adorable. I fell in love It seemed like he instantly took to me and I think I want him

She refuses to let him go before she thinks he is ready which is fine with me, but she wants me to be sure that I am ready to take care of him. I think that I am, but I would love input from other members who have puppies with birth defects or do you think I should not take that step.
First of all has this "breeder" taken this pup to the vet and had an xray of the affected leg? Second, this pup belongs with her till he is at least 12 weeks if not more at that tiny size. And third is she asking alot for this pup or giving him to you for a small rehome fee. A pup with a birth defect should be placed for a small (less than 200 in my opinion) fee to a great home that is willing to take in a special needs pup.
As a breeder myself, I have placed pups with special needs a couple of times in the past 10 years and each one found that special home and went for the price of me getting them spayed or neutered (65-95 dollars). They were vetted and had a letter written by MY vet stating their defect and many pages of printed info on the defect. And one is still here with me as a pet as she is very high needs, but was not at 10 to 14 weeks. Her issues did not arise (except for the scoliosis) until she was 6 or 7 months. Many times a dog with a birth defect has more than one.
Please make sure you purchase pet insurance at the minimum. Insist on her taking the pup to the vet and xrayed, and then you make an appt with your vet the day or the day after you get the pup(if that is what you intend to do) this baby needs love, care, and mostly lots of vet visits, ortho, etc...
I wish you luck and hope you can go in as prepared as possible.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!