View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Poochieheaven
Donating YT 500 Club Member

My absolute pet peeve is people letting their dogs go crazy on leashes.

Duke is large and while he walks pretty decent on a leash, at times he can be reactive. We are working on it.

I can't stand it when I'm trying to work with him on not reacting to other dogs and people across the street will let their dogs go nuts barking and pulling on the leash.

I once was walking with Duke on a bike trail and this man with two shih tzus or shih tzu mixes were walking in the opposite direction. Duke was heeled on my left along the grass, the two dogs were in the middle of the walk way.

Now let me remind you that Duke is a large dog and if he wanted could do a large amount of damage to a small dog quickly. This guy allowed his dogs to go crazy as we are walking by and basically get within a few inches of Duke's face. How does he know what my dog is like? What if Duke would have snapped for whatever reason and gone after them? Why, without knowing the dog, would you ever let your small dogs get within a few inches of a large dog, especially when your dogs are going nuts?

I hate to stereotype dogs, especially with Duke, as GSDs have lots of stereotypes, but I won't let a large dog come near Piper unless I know them first. I just can't take that risk of a random dog coming up to a 4lb dog.

Sorry, for the long drawn out post...but this is one of my absolute pet peeves.
Poochieheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!