View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
katienme2002
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Okay I have to respond. retractable Leashes are my bette noire. Very few know how to use them properly. And IMHO retractable leads are NOT for big dogs. Unless you are using them in a controlled way to teach retrieve, come, etc.

Poodles are really misunderstood by the general populance. A standard Poodle is a big dog, with a big prey drive, and is very very strong. If they are groomed in a "poodle" cut they might look cute, but many retain their working qualities.

That owner is darned stupid in my opinion. I own a dog that weighs more than I, and is hugely strong, but he NEVER pulls me beyond a step or two in a direction I don't want him to go!

Sure he could, if he had not been obedience trained. This boy could probably pull over 800 lbs if he put his mind to it. When he was an 8mth old pup, my hubby tied him up to a heavy picnic bench. This bench was indoors and on concrete. Hubby went to go to the bathroom, Magic decided to follow, he pulled that picnic bench at least 300 yards, with no apparent difficulty. An observer said, well at least he is not going to get it through the door LOL.

I use retractable leads on my dogs, only in obedience training, never to walk them. And that even in Obedience training is in the early days, when they are pups.

Just to clarify this was a small poodle..lol..Dont know the proper term, toy?? And I think a retractable leash is ok, I own one too..but for this dog, it just was not working..lol..
katienme2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!