View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
yorkielady06
YT 500 Club Member

Cry Emma had a seizure brought on by playing??

I am not sure if anyone remembers my little Emma. Long story short, had to give her liquid antibiotics, she inhaled them, stopped breathing and heart stopped, I gave her CPR and flew to ER vet. 3 days later she came home to me.
Since then whenever she gets stressed she acts funny, staggers, etc especially after a bath. Well today the new hide a squirrel toys that I ordered came in. AJ was playing nutty with them and I then got Emma playing. Now playing to Emma involves sitting on her bed and crouching down growling and wagging her tail. Well while getting excited over the toy she "fell" over backwards without hitting her head, and immediately seized up and her tongue turned blue and she stopped breathing. I tapped on her chest and called to her, then rubbed her chest harder and blew in her face. She gasped and slowly began breathing. She trembled for 20 mins or so and is now laying on my chest sleeping. I called the vet and am waiting for a return call as to what to do.
Now just to let everyone know, Emma is too small for any real interventions. She weighs 1 pound 10 ounces and is 14 months. She has scoliosis, an enlarged heart and cleft palate. Her tongue turns blue under any stressful situations, bathing is the worst and I cannot bathe her then cut her nails or hair due to stress. So everything is done with the least amount of stress on her. In that, we do not visit the vet often ( the worst of all stressors) and do most of the "visits" over the phone. I am a vet tech and nurse and the vets agree with this treatment since when we had her rabies 5 months ago and she did this tongue blue and almost seizing there.
Emma was a runt and would not have lived past 1 week had I not intervened. She was very tiny weighing less than 2 ounces at birth and her littermates were all 4-5 ounces. I tube fed her from birth to day 2 then took her away from the rest of the litter at day 8 due to her not gaining and being pushed off the nipple. Since then we have been "attached at the hip". She goes everywhere with me, sleeps on my neck at night. After the CPR episode the vets told me she would have a shorter life expectancy. I knew that and decided to give her the best quality of life for as long as she was here with me. I planned her moms pregnancy, watched her born, and plan on being with her till she does go over the rainbow bridge. She will not be poked, prodded,etc as the vets here have told me she would not survive heart surgery, etc so why put her through that. Medications are almost impossible for her due to tiny size and that she had the CPR event from a liquid one, so I am limited there also.
I am just wondering if anyone else has had a Yorkie with this issue? Is there anything I should be doing to help with this? Anything else I could be forgetting to ask the vet about disease wise? Can seizures be controlled with pleasant tasting meds? How about anxiety?

Last edited by yorkielady06; 09-16-2010 at 09:49 AM.
yorkielady06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!