View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Kirby
YT 500 Club Member

Default Potty Training Schedule Suggestion

I highly recommend the book, "How to House Break Your Dog in Seven Days." It has different schedules for if you're working or not and the age of the puppy. For example, at six months, I started feeding Sydney twice a day, but when I was potty training, I fed her three times a day. A crate is simply a dog cage that you can section off so your puppy can turn around, but deters him/her from soiling where they sleep. In the crate, you want it comfortable and with a safe toy, but no food or water.

Each dog is different. Some catch on quickly while it takes time for others. If you stick with a schedule, it's easier on you and your dog. Actually, you can pretty much time your day by your dog's bowl movements. lol The schedule below is an example. If your dog takes longer than a half-hour to go potty, put him/her in the crate and take him/her back out for potty after ten minutes. Say, "Potty" when you're at the spot for him/her to go. It might take a few tries, but eventually, he/she will catch on to what is expected of him/her. For using a bell, prior to taking your Yorkie out, use his paw to ring the bell, praise, and then go outside with him.

Schedule I used at 12-weeks:

7 a.m. Potty
7:30 Breakfast
7:45 Play
8:15 Potty
8:45 Play
9 Crate

12 Potty
12:30 Lunch
12:45 Play
1:15 Potty
1:45 Play
2 Crate

5 Potty
5:30 Dinner
5:45 Play
6:15 Potty
6:30 Play
6:45 Crate

8 Potty
8:30 Water and Play (No more food or water for the night)
8:45 Potty
9:15 Crate

11 p.m. Potty
11:30 Crate

Last edited by Kirby; 09-15-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!