View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzwanned View Post
Livie is very timid naturally. She's come out her shell a little more in time, but she is still shy and very awkward with new people, and going outside, etc. Is there any way to make her less timid, less scared?
How old is she? Is she at the age of one of the fear periods 7-9 mths old?

Beyond that is graduated exposure to the external stimuli that is fearful for her. Don't re-inforce her fear, by petting her or trying overtly to reassure her. Outside; start with a small area; I note you are in New York, perhaps there is a small area beside or behind your building that you could walk her. Or just walk her down to the corner and back. Every time she doesnt' shy or react to external stimuli be they loud noises, lots of ppl, etc, treat her with the most yummy treat she adores. Stand strong and tall beside her, project your confidence, it will be received by her.

New ppl, invite one or two new folks to your dog over for dinner. Don't force her to say hi or anything. Coach your friends to ignore doggy unless she comes to them, provide your friends with yummy treats, which if your girl comes to them, they give a treat.

Also consider a puppy obedience class, the socialization is great.

Take your gal to the corner store, lift her up in your arms, shop get a quart of mile, of some cheese whatever, pay for it and leave.

The best I advice I can give is to take your dog everywhere as much as you can with you.

With my Razz man, we went to my clinic (work), he went into the car with me when I went shopping, to many pet stores on the lead, to the lake, to vets (not for shots but just to visit), he went visiting to my friends homes, he went on the bus and subway ..crated, he went into taxis on lead.

He does obedience and agility. But still at 7 1/2 mths old after going downtown to my clinic on very busy city streets from the time he was 3mths old, all of a sudden he was scared he didn't want to walk, he cringed from the city sounds. My breeder said okay he is in his next fear cycle. Keep him home for 2-3 wks don't push it at all. So I did, four wks later we did the same walk on the same streets, absolutley no problem!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!