View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
BonBon
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
This all sounds just like Truman He started to have accidents in the house too. He'd get up from a nap (which was most of the time) and just kind of stagger around and then out of nowhere pee where he stood~no warning at all. If he was on my lap he would stand up and try to walk off without even thinking about it. He would flinch when I stroked his face~I always thought it was because he couldn't see my hand coming toward him but I know now that was not true. When he walked around the house he always walked against the wall. The vet said that was also part of the dementia. I never allowed him onto the bed because he would have walked off and hurt himself. From the day I brought him home I never trusted that he could be allowed onto the bed but he never wanted to be up either.

One time Tom found him chewing on a lamp cord that was plugged in! It was so out of the ordinary for him to chew but there he was chomping away. We knew it was getting serious at that point. He could have been electrocuted!

I have to say he loved to be outdoors. He would just trot all over the yard and he seemed to be happy and free! It wasn't until that very last day that he suddenly because really bad. He never seemed in pain just very confused at times. I still miss him. He was such a good boy.

Truman was on meds for his arthritis. I don't remember now what it was that he was taking. I'll have to go back and look at his old thread I know it was in there.

Bonny don't worry too much about him being in pain or discomfort. Dementia in dogs is pretty much like in people~they don't even realize there is anything wrong. They just live in their own little world that begins to grow smaller. All you can do it love them and make them as comfortable as possible. It's just heartbreaking to see them slowly slip away.
This is what I need to believe more than anything. I haven't had enough time with him yet. I'm not ready to say goodbye.

The only thing Alex still seems to really enjoy is being outside, just like Truman. That's when I can see that spark of life that's my Alex.

Alex doesn't like for me to touch his face anymore, either. I also thought it was because he couldn't see my hand coming towards him, but I've learned that's not the case. And sometimes he gets very nervous after I pick him up - he'll start paddling like he's trying to swim and cries a little until I set him back down. This from my little man who could never be held, carried or cuddled enough.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Author Unknown
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!