View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Hannah3183
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Fear Aggression/Biting

My yorkie just turned 3 yesterday, but it seems that since summer she has become extremely aggressive when other dogs are around. I can no longer take her to the dog park because if a dog tries to approach her, she will jump and bite at them. The same thing happens with dogs we live by that she has known since birth. She also started taking one of her toys and shaking it and growling and slamming it into the ground (this is her favorite toy too...that she humps like a manic and takes to bed with her). She's been doing that since almost the beginning of this year. I don't know where any of this is coming from and it's gotten to the point that I need to figure something out because either she will get hurt when she tries to bite another dog or the other dog will get hurt. Other than this, she is the most loving playful dog ever. She will only try to bite me if she has something she shouldn't have and I take it away. She has also started growling and trying to chase after cars after no apparent reason. It seems to be the cars that make some sort of squeek or noise.

I've read that sudden aggression could be a medical issue, but she just seems so playful to have anything going on with her. After reading online, I think that it's fear agression. She has always been super submissive. (or what I thought was submissiveness). When she sees another dog she wants to go up to them and when she does she squats down, tugs her tail and ears and lets them sniff her. Sometimes she will roll over on her belly. This morining she went up to our neighbors dog, they smelled noses and then she lashed out growling, lunging, and trying to bite the other dog. I've had her since she was 3 months old. I read that fear agression was mainly in dogs that were abused but she couldn't be more loved...she is 100% the love of my life...and to my knowledge, she's never had a bad experience with another dog....just always seemed submissive. (she does drool a lot from her mouth and nose when at the dog park too...maybe that's a sign of her being scared??) Does anyone have any ideas or have a dog doing the same thing? What can I do to help her? I'm at my wits end!

Thanks!
Hannah
Hannah3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!