View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Patti
Donating YT 30K Club Member

Congratulations on your little rescue. When I took Nikki in 6 months ago he attached himself to my side. He still has to be right next to me if I am home. He took an instant dislike to Cali, who is my sweetest one, and would attack her if she tried to get near me. Fortunately, Nikki is 15-16 years old and has no teeth so he can't really hurt my girls. But he does intimidate them. He has gotten better with Cali but will attack her once in awhile. I try and watch for the signs he is getting ready to go after her and stop him before he can attack. I see him staring at Cali, stiffening up and then I say loudly No Nikki, lay down. Sometimes he will lay back down other times I have to restrain him. Other than that he just sleeps or will hang with my 3 girls for meals and when I am up and about. Since we have no idea how Nikki spent his first 13 years, I try to cut him some slack and let him lay with me a lot. My 3 girls are very tolerant in letting him be with me, but I make sure they get plenty of love and kisses. I had never had a rescue before so I really didn't know how to handle the situation. I got good advice on here about not letting him dominate my attention, but I felt so bad for him and my girls really seem ok with it. Izzy is much younger and could hurt one of your others so you probably need to establish rules with her as to her attacking them. Hopefully with time and love she will become one of the pack. I now many experienced rescuers can give you better help.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!