View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
i_love_my_yorki
YT 500 Club Member

Love Take back Christmas((Religious))

A Commentary by Sue

My name is Sue, and I'm a Christian. I celebrate the birth of Christ this time each year and have been for nearly 67 years.

In recent days, I have experienced store clerks who have been told they could no longer wish customers "Merry Christmas." They could say "Happy Holiday," however. The clerks admitted frustration and anger at their administrations' new directives. One pointed at the Christmas tree on public displaly and said, "That's no longer a Christmas tree, it's now called a 'holiday' tree."

In an act of admitted defiance, as opposed to genuine and heart-felt sincerity, I wished each clerk a hearty "MERRY CHRISTMAS." One clerk wished me "Merry Christmas" in return so loudly that I seriously worried later that she might have jeopardized her job. I admit that I felt cheated that my greeting was more an act of defiance instead of a genuine, heartfelt greeting. And of course I've read, as you have, about any number of small and large businesses (who seem to have no trouble accepting the money we spend on Christmas gifts) who have attempted to make Christmas as "generic" as possible. "All inclusive," I believe I read one spokesman describe it.

Now that my awareness is sufficiently aroused, I'm concerned about what I am seeing, hearing, and feeling. As I told one friend, if I invite someone to my home, and I offer grace before the meal, I would expect my guests to respect this and not be "offended." I realize that some of the politically "correct-edness" perhaps began out of consideration for our Jewish friends -- certainly, if I knew someone was not Christian, I have always said, "Happy Holidays" to them. My Jewish friends will usually always respond with, "Merry Christmas." It seemed to be working quite well. I love my Jewish friends - Christ was a Jew.

So what happened? I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I challenge everyone reading this to not succumb to the "Holiday" season but to instead keep the Christmas spirit alive.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I respect all who worship different than I. I feel there is room for everyone. I just don't feel any of us should have to change our manner of celebrating our special days for fear of offending others. That's the crux of what is troubling me this year. We all need to retain our right to express ourselves and our faith as we have always been able to do in the past.

This is the CHRISTmas SEASON for Christians.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.
i_love_my_yorki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!