View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Prince's Mom thread (about them charges a ridiculous price for a med...which they were...) inspired this thread. Or maybe I'm just avoiding homework.
LOL .

There have been times when prices at the vet drive me nuts...mostly bc I hate it when money/costs influence any kind of care (canine, human, or otherwise) or choices about care.

But honestly, I really think most vets' "mark-up" for goods or services is probably not out of line with any other goods and services professional. Sure, some things are marked up more than others, but this is no different from any other sector. They likely mark other things down too, and this may be why other things are marked up higher.

In human healthcare, those of who are lucky to have Insurance probably don't fret as much about costs (even w/ high deductibles these days ), bc we know we have some safety nets, and some costs covered. I have no idea, now that I think of it, what my Primary Doc charges for an "office visit" or tetanus shot. But you can be sure that I'm very curious about what vets charge for office visits. Which is odd. And sad, really, in a way.

IMO, most vets fees, at the end of the day, are fair and reasonable, for all that they are expected to do.

What ticks me off, in terms of fees/costs, are vets (OR doctors! etc) who are consciously trying to generate extra profit, to the detriment of the owners' pocketbook . And it makes me more mad in vet care, than in human care (most of the time). Not that it's right either way (!), but in vet care, the extra costs are usually straight out of pocket...and in the end, this could hurt the animal, bc the owner could be placed in a decision about money vs. care. Whereas in human care, the inflated costs are less likely to affect the choice of care, and more likely to affect the Ins Company, for those who have Insurance (again, which isn't right).

But don't get me started on what I think of human Health Ins Companies, where CEOs are making 30M bonuses, while their consumers are denied procedures bc of "costs" and "efficacy". Oy.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!