View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Lizzie07
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
I know when my pom had CHF they gave her something thru an IV to get the fluids off her and then put her on meds daily. She did really well for about a year, but she also had Cushing's and liver disease. I would see if the vet can't find a way to get the fluid off her faster and make her more comfortable. I hope she shows improvement soon.
Yes, the internist that Opal, my IG, sees did the same thing. Opal had an episode where the fluid in her lungs built up. He explained that the fluid could build up rapidly. She had to spend the night in the oxygen cage and get IV meds to get rid of the fluid. I was told that if her resting respirations were over 30/min while sleeping or almost sleeping, to give her a lasix, also called furosemide, and to get her in right away or to an emergency clinic.

It sounds as though Candy needs help with the fluid that is built up. I have heard that for the fluid in the abdomen, the vet can use a syringe to remove some of it. Opal's Dr also explained that the IV lasix is more effective than the pills and before the episode, she was getting one 12.5mg furosemide in the am and 1/2 in the pm. Now she is getting the 12.5 mg three times a day. Also, if that didn't work, we could try a combination of the pills and IV or subq.

I hope the vetmedin starts to work, but I really think she needs some help with the fluid in the meantime.

Please keep us updated on how Candy is doing. I truly hope she perks up. I know what you are going through and it's tough at times. Hopefully this is just a short term crisis that you'll get past.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!