View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
yorkielady06
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrow26 View Post
My vet did mention hydrocephalus....I have been reading about it and unfortunately my Jax has most of the symptoms Dome-shaped head, open fontanelle, progressive neuro symptoms....I also read something about pups that have hydrocephalus...they kick their legs out front when walking to make up for their weak back legs. This last symptom for some reason makes me very upset. My husband has commented several times about the way Jax walks. He does kick his front legs forward differently than Molly, my little girl does. I am terrified that my baby has hydrocephalus. Unfortunately there really is no treatment...is this correct or has someone heard differently?
Sometimes reading on the internet will scare you more. Great to learn but not to diagnose...
However, there is treatment for hydrocephalus and it is putting a shunt in, risky and expensive. Does the open font on Jax's head protrude out? I would suggest a vet visit and tell them you want a diagnosis...even if they have to send you to a neurologist or wherever. A consult will be cheaper in the long run over going to the emergency vet over and over and never getting an accurate diagnosis in my opinion.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!