Thread: Newbie here
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
2chihuahuas
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 049 Newbie here

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking around for the last week reading posts and thought I had better introduce myself and my new puppy. I have an 11 week old female Yorkie named Thumper. She is the sweetest dog I have ever owned. As you see by my user name I have owned Chihuahuas previously and still have one, a 13 year old male named Taquito.

I lost my other Chi last December, we had to put him to sleep, that was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I cried for weeks and it still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. He was a Mamas boy totally. We named him Chimichanga and called him Chimi for short. The other dog bonded with my husband and so I was without a dog to cuddle for a long time before I found the Yorkie.

I really wanted another Chi but the breeder that I got both my Chi’s from moved away. I had always wanted a Yorkie but never had the opportunity before. I live in a very small town and don’t have much access to breeders. I just never wanted to buy a puppy over the internet. I guess the man I got Thumper from would be considered a “back yard breeder”.

I never knew that Yorkies had such big personalities, she is just fabulous. I have fallen in love with her completely and I am spoiling her rotten.

She is doing so well with potty training, I am so happy about that. She hardly ever has accidents and sleeps thru the night for 7 hours. Her previous owner told me that he started taking her outside with the parents quite early and got her used to using the grass for her potty.

I bought a Tell Bell yesterday on the Internet and I am hoping that she will be easy to train using that. Today I started training her to sit with treats, hopefully that will go well too.

Her mom weighed 8 pounds and her dad weighed 7 pounds so I am hoping that she is somewhere in that range. I just want her to fit on my lap! Currently she is right at 3 pounds. She is NOT a fragile acting dog at all, in fact I would call her scrappy. She chases the 13 year old Chi around the house and runs up and down our stairs and has explored the entire house from top to bottom. The only thing that she seems to be afraid of is loud noises.

I don’t want to wish away her puppyhood but I am anxious to see what she looks like when she is older. (Plus I want to add bows to her hair!) I was told that she would have a silky coat, is this something that can be predicted? I bought a brush and I have been brushing her everyday but I can see that this is going to take patience, she wants to chew the brush and does not like it!

Is it really necessary to pluck the hairs out of her ears? That just gives me the willys to think about pulling her hair out. I really want to learn to groom her myself and I will do whatever is needed.

I am sure that I will have a ton of questions and I am so grateful that this forum exists and is so full of knowledgeable Yorkie owners.

I have attached (hopefully) a pic of my new baby.

Thanks everybody!

Attached Thumbnails
Newbie here-thumper.jpg  
2chihuahuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!