View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Ha! I've done the 'work for the treat' too. Works like a charm! Till they wise up.

I use frozen cut green beans, and run them through the blender to get anywhere from 1/8 in or smaller chunks to liquefied. I thaw them out a bit in warm water first. The freezing process breaks down some of the cell structure so they're not as tough to chew as fresh, but I don't cook them either.

I soak 3 cups of kibble in 1-2 cups boiling water till the water is absorbed. Then I add a bit of canned for flavor, and about a cup of the blended string beans, and mix well. (sometimes I do it with carrots and/or broccoli too). Scoop out their rations, add supplements... and if they're being picky, sprinkle with a bit of Parmesan cheese. I get 2 meals/day X 3 dogs for 2-3 days. Refrigerate any leftovers. When served again, I add almost 1/4 cp of boiling water to each serving to warm it up.

We had apples for a treat one day and it was Peek's first time with apples. He's 13.5 years old, and really didn't like the consistency. He spit out pieces 5-6 times as the other 3 gobbled them up, but he was so jealous he finally started eating it. Too funny. Now he likes them. Plus Mommie was pigging out too!

Never had loose stools with them....

Last edited by kjc; 09-07-2010 at 09:58 AM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!