View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
tmorrow26
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default My nightmare has come true:(

Ever since I got my little guy Jax I have been terrified of a liver shunt. He is now 61/2 months old and weighs 3.5 pounds. I have definitely read up on them and tried to watch for symptoms of anything suspicious. Over the last several days, Jax as been trembling more and I noticed it was after eating sometimes. He would only do it for a minute or two, nothing major. Well tonight he had two bowls of food, (his and his sisters) and fell asleep. About 30-45 minutes later, he woke up and could not walk. He was falling over and acting very bizarre. Limp, shortness of breath, lethargic....then his legs sort of bent over to one side like he couldn't move them. Almost like a person after a stroke. Obviously we were scared to death so we called our vet and he met us at the office. He has since been 'perking' up but still walking sideways and just not 'right'. He had no temp, his sugar was 90, he doesn't appear to be dehydrated. Dr. A seems to think he might have had seizure and this seems most likely to be caused by a shunt He is still in the post-ictal phase but seems to be getting a little better. He hasn't vomited or had any diarrhea and his legs are working again just not great. The doc put him on Augmentin and is sending some blood off. I am devastated because I know in my heart that my baby has a liver shunt. I need your prayers because we love this little guy more than anything. My husband and I have already decided that we will do whatever it takes to make him better. Luckily my worried self purchased pet insurance months ago for this very reason being my fear of a liver shunt. He is sleeping by my side as I type this and I just cannot picture my life without him To top this whole night off....we left in such a rush that I did not put my pup Molly in her expen and she got into the trash and had cooked ONIONS spread all over the floor! I have no idea if she ate any. Hopefully not...she eats like a bird anyway which is the reason Jax snatched all her food earlier. Please pray that she doesn't get sick from the stupid onions. Geez, I am never getting to sleep tonight Please, if anyone has any words of encouragement for me, I could really use them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!