View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I started out blow drying Ruby while we sat on the floor. I placed her between my stretched out legs....she was good to stand for me and didn't try to escape too many times. By doing it this way, I could hold Ruby with one hand, operate the dryer for a few seconds with the other hand.....after a minute or so, I could let go of her, she would stay there for me then, that way I would have a free hand for brushing.

You have to be firm...but gentle and have to appear to be confident in what you're doing or she will pick up on your uncertainty.

Try sitting on the floor with her and practice. Start the blow dryer and don't point it at her at first, let her get used to the noise. Use the dryer on a low air setting, sometimes too much air blowing out frightens them...so start out low and after a couple of minutes switch the dryer setting up if you need to, to get her dry and so that it doesn't take forever.

Make sure you don't hold the dryer too close as it will burn her even on a low setting....no closer than 10-12" away from her. Also, move the dryer back and forth just like a hair stylist will do on your hair.....not too long in one area.

It might take a few times but she will get used to it, but just like with all the other grooming, she may never learn to love it....some do though
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!