Thread: Babies???????
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

How large of an area are they in? Usually by 3 weeks I have removed my pups from the whelping box and I give them a larger area, about 4' by 6'. I put their bedding at one end and sheet cover the rest of the pen. As soon as they are walking, around 3 1/2 to 4 weeks, I will start putting down the finely ground up puppy food and some water.

Have you cut their toenails? Hopefully you have but if you have not it is important to trim their toenails because they can get razor sharp and make it uncomfortable for the momma plus they their nails can get caught on things.

As for the type of bedding to put down, I actually use old bed sheets to cover the entire x-pen. I will change them out regularly and when the pups get older I will slowly remove the sheets so by the time the pups are 6 weeks old they just have the bedding they lay on and pee pads will be at the far end of the x-pen. Food and water will be in the middle.

I have attached a picture of a litter of 7 I had a few years ago. With large litters it is important to give them plenty of room or you will have a bunch of dirty stinky pups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PuppyRoom 007.JPG (78.7 KB, 25 views)
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!