View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
suda
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Jackson has always loved going somewhere, or going in the car, but he started pulling that crap where he would know we were leaving, and I was taking him with me... and he'd run. I think it was all a big game to him. 99.9% of the time when we get into the car, it's somewhere fun and positive, so he knew we were going somewhere good but would decide to run off anyways and play a game of catch me if you can.

I tried walking out the door, acting like I was leaving, then coming back in. Didn't work. He knows the command sit and listens pretty well, so I would sternly just say 'sit' and snap my finger, and he started doing it. But what I did before this... I sort of de-sensitized him to his harness. He went through the phase where he didn't like the harness, even though again, it was always used for good to go outside. I had pinched him once while putting it on by accident, and he didn't like it anymore. So I slowly would put the harness on the ground, and place a few treats near the harness. Then I'd put the treats ON the harness and he'd have to go eat them off of it. Then I would go towards him, as if I was putting the harness on his head (but stopped) and he got a treat. I took it slow and after two days of this... he was fine. He now voluntarily steps into his harness, and gets his leash on, and goes out the door. He always would just hop right in the car by himself, but now it's becoming more of an issue since we got in a car accident over a month ago. He no longer voluntarily jumps. I kind of have to drag him, and once he gets close enough to the vehicle, he realizes he has to jump in.

I think it will just take practice, patient and lots of treats and positive reinforcement!
Thanks I will try the treats maybe next to the car door first then just inside the car on the seat where he can see it, funny thing is on the weekend I went out without him and he hate to use his peepad for poos and a little bit got stuck on his fluff, When I got home and opened the back door he ran to the car and jumped in the back seat of the car, upset because he was messy and I wasn't home, so he comes when he wants not when I want, funny babies aren't they.

I'm so in love with my little boy George
suda is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!