View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Gracie2003
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCuteness View Post
Lately I hear ferdinand in the middle of the night making this weird choking/coughing noise like he's got a hairball stuck in his throat. The first time I cought him doing it he threw up. Every time I get up and take him out of his crate and give him some water and rub his belly and throat and it goes away. It scares me sometimes because I don't know why he does it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone know what it could be?
REVERSE SNEEZING (Pharyngeal Gag Reflex)–is a dramatic, rapid inhalation and exhalation of air through the nasopharynx. Dogs may do this when they have a mild irritation at the back of their throat. Often confused with seizuring or gasping for air, it is usually a harmless event.
“Reverse sneezing isn’t really a health problem, but something that dog owners should be aware of as it is very common in toy breeds. It is characterized by honking, hacking or a snorting sounds. It usually happens when a dog is excited or can sometimes happen after drinking, eating, running around, or while pulling on the leash. The dog will usually extend his/her neck while gasping inwards with a distinctive snorting sound, it is reverse sneezing.
Usually by gently rubbing the throat of your dog, the spasms will stop after they swallow a couple of times and that’s the end of it. Other dogs respond well by taking them outside for some fresh air. Or you can plug the nose holes forcing the dog to breathe through her mouth and that will usually stop an episode as well.
Gracie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!