View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Reese1
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I have heard others say that....and I have not had a problem. BUT...I have never used it for anything other than a few minute time out. I did it very successfully with a biter .... I could not pick him up without getting bitten so I would put the crate in front of him. In time, when he got fearful and snappy, he actually would go to the crate by himself! To this day, he sometimes goes in a crate to sleep. I always have a few open crates around for those who like them. He had learned that it was a safe place! So...I do believe it has a place.

I don't believe in "punishment" anyway. Anything I do in terms of training is positive reinforcement. Letting a pup know his behavior is inappropriate is key....hitting or yelling imo is punishment. Redirecting is not....it is really just discipline.

For a puppy who is playing...I would not do that. Puppies just need to learn how to play without hurting with their teeth.
I agree in positive reinforcement too and re-directing too!
I'm not sure how we would have handled a biting problem if we had one, we were really lucky in that regard, but since we crate at night I don't think it would have been the way we would have gone!
Funny how he would send himself to a time-out! Smart little guy!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!