View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
lilytobypepe
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Completely Lost?????

Hi guys

Im new to the site and come from England, hello to you all :-)
I am the owner of 3 beautiful yorkies Lily, Toby and Pepe.
Pepe is the eldest (9) of the 3. For the last 3 - 4 months now, she has had an open sore that starts from the top of her lip to the side of her nose (around the area of her whiskers).
The sore started very small and has got slightly larger over time, eventually scabbing over, but because of its location she constantly licks it and the scab comes off and the sore becomes an open wound again.
So far I have spent hundreds with the vet.

1. several courses of antibiotics
2. biobsy and swab (came back non cancerous but showing deep infection)
3. fungal tablets
4. steroid injection

The vet has so far drawn a blank and is now talking about a dermotologist. The last time (the same vets) wanted to refer my other dog to a dermatologist for a skin issue, we gave her piraton allergy tablets and it cleared in less than a week, so you can imagine my reluctance to proceed in light of the fact Ive just found out I also have a 20% co insurance clause to my incurance policy!!!!

The sore itself has pussed a couple of times and it looks to have two or three pin head sized spots in it. It has got larger over time and is starting to worry me that it might keep on growing.

I must point out again that it is not cancerous as the biopsy came back negative and the vet took a very large sample to make sure it was fully checked.

Pepe is fine in herself, her eating and personality is still the same, but you can tell the sore is aggrivating her as she is constantly licking it, one of the reasons why I think it almost impossible to heal due to its location above her mouth.

My mum is convinced its a mouth wart (pepi already has warts on her body) but the vet wont have any of it.

We are considering trying her on prednisolone which is human grade for allergies, but I don't want to put her at further risk.

Ive racked my brains about cleaning products, change in food etc. but nothing springs to mind.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? It may not be specific to yorkies but i now don't know what direction to take?

Thanks

Paul
lilytobypepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!