View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
djs2053
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
Fanconi syndrome can cause glucose to spill into the urine, but it's pretty rare. The most common cause is diabetes. Glucose in the urine, weight loss and urinary tract infections are all classic diabetes symptoms.

Is Riley overweight? Been on steroids for a long period of time? Prone to pancreatitis? Combined with genetics, all are risk factors for diabetes.
Just spoke with the vet's office and found out his glucose level is at 400 but should only be between like 75 and 135. Apparently, it's very high. Bringing him in for another blood test today. The doctor said the results from this takes several days to get back. Can't remember the name of it though. She also talked about another test where Riley would be there all day and they take some blood every 2 hours to test his levels all day long. The doctor said that test, tough, could be very expensive (around $200) and it was up to me.

Told her nicely that I did want to seek out a second opinion and she understood and is actually referring me to an internist and they'll send them the results of their tests. I've also made an appointment with another doctor for tomorrow to see what they have to say. They can take urine and blood too if they need. Just want to be really, really sure we're on the right road.

When Riley was a puppy, he was misdiagnosed by a vet as having collapsing trachea. Brought him to a much better, more experienced vet and it turned out he had pneumonia. Was treated for that but now has asthma for the rest of his life as well because of the damage the pneumonia did to his lungs. Just don't want to go through that again.

As for your other questions, yes, he has been overweight for awhile. He has managed to lose almost 5 lbs over the last 3 weeks. Changed his food and cut back on the treats. He has used albuterol for his asthma but only on an as-needed basis. I believe there is a steroid in that. Funny enough, three weeks ago we went out on our balcony for two minutes and he laid down for just a minute. He got some slight burns on his belly from the concrete. We brought him immediately to a hospital and the inflammation was almost gone by the time we got there. He was given some benadryl and another steroid because of his reaction to the burn. He has always been sensitive to dirt and grass and stuff like that. Can't tell you how many time he's been to the vet for that stuff. And each time he's been given steroids to help with the irritation or inflammation he's had. So, who knows, maybe that all contributed to this.
djs2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!