View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
djs2053
Yorkie Talker

Question My 4-year old Yorkie may have diabetes

Just went to the vet yesterday because Riley has been drinking and urinating a lot over the last two weeks. Riley is an almost 4 year old male Yorkie. He was weighed about 3 weeks ago and was 30 lbs but has lost about 4 or 5 pounds since then. We've been giving him diet food and cut way down on the treats. He's not a small Yorkie though. He is about the size of a cairn terrier or schnauzer. Most people aren't even sure what he is when they first see him. When I tell them he's a Yorkie, most people are surprised. So, we brought him to the vet yesterday and he had urine and blood taken. According to the urine sample, he has a bladder infection is on antibiotics. However, what the doctor was concerned about was the high level of glucose that was in his urine. She said she would know more after the blood test results today. She did start talking to me about how he may need to be on insulin for the rest of his life.

Has anybody else had experience with diabetes in Yorkies? If the blood test is positive for diabetes, I am going to get a second opinion to be sure. I know from experience that getting a second opinion always helps. He did have some sweet potato treats the night before. Would that have made a difference in his glucose levels? I should add too that he is on diet food that I got from the vet last night (i.e. Hill's Prescription Diet w/d canned food). He does need to lose weight but he already lost about 5 lbs in 3 weeks on Pedigree Weight Management canned food and less treats.

Just wanted to see if anybody has any experience with any of this and can offer any guidance or advice. Thanks!
djs2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!