Thread: The Exhibitor
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
magicgenie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
What does this mean to you? What type of yorkie is your showing preference (as there are many differences within the yorkie breed)? How did you aquire your first show yorkie? What are your expectations? Knowing every dog has a fault what fault can you live with while showing? How did you get into showing? Does one see it as a lifetime commitment? What are your goals? What have you learned from being in the ring? Do you have a mentor? Do you take advice and tips readily? Do you listen to the experienced exhibitors and value their knowledge? Do you listen to tips from the professional handlers? Are you a visual learner or a hands on learner?

Just a few questions I'm interested in....

Donna
I'm not as dedicated an exhibitor as some I know, but more excited about it than I once thought I could be. I love the breeding, raising and nurturing the puppies and playing with the parents in the garden. I love watching the quality of my puppies getting better year by year. I have no human children and realize this is the substitution for that. I love watching the families who visit here fall in love with their puppy, and later receiving their cards and emails over the years telling me how my Yorkie is the best pet they ever had, the smartest or prettiest in the whole world. Alas, being an exhibitor is an important part of being a breeder as it is though showing that I am learning about correct conformation in a very hands on way, making friends and gaining access to high quality dogs. I personally do not like to be in the show ring; I'm physically uncoordinated and clumsy, easily distracted, need training and am too old to get it. My first attempt a few years ago was a fiasco. I had a wonderful dog that should have finished, but I now have finished his granddaughter. We did use a handler, a good one but not elite in this breed. The girl I finished is a little doll, pretty face, showy style, luxurious heavy silk coat, a little small, lighter colored than ideal. I think she's beautiful and sone judges also must have as she finished very young and very fast. Faults that can be lived with in showing---I wish color was more liberal--medium shades of blue and tan flow freely at my house, the darker ones are so hard to get, so I wish the standard described an acceptable range rather than a strict dark steel blue and tan. I worry if we are losing some good traits while trying to breed to a particular shade of blue. One may be able to compromise a bit on angulation but not on topline. The Yorkshire Terrier is a pretty complex little package...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!