Thread: The Exhibitor
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
JaLaYorkieGirl
YT 1000 Club Member

What does this mean to you?
I think this might be the hardest question of all of these to answer, because it means so much to me in so many ways. I am truly bonded to and feel responsible for the mark I leave on the breed. Being an exhibitor to me personally means doing what I love, and challenging myself to always be a better groomer, better handler and to bring better dogs into the ring.

What type of yorkie is your showing preference (as there are many differences within the yorkie breed)?
I can appreciate a good yorkie no matter the type, but my preference is one that has more of a compact terrier body, with a nice amount of spring of rib, balanced with a nice length of neck. It's got to move, and move correctly with good front/shoulders giving it a nice head carriage. I love great color, but give me a good stable structure first!

How did you aquire your first show yorkie?
My first show dog came from a show breeder in Europe after seeing a few of their dogs here in person and speaking with others who obtained dogs from them.

What are your expectations?
To never stop expecting more!!!

Knowing every dog has a fault what fault can you live with while showing?
I think it's easier to say what you can't live with than what you can. I can live with less than perfect color, but I don't want to...lol. I can live with a head that isn't exactly what I want as long as the body/structure/movement is there because I know I can fix a head easier than a bad rear or sloping shoulders.

How did you get into showing?
My mom has taken me to watch dog shows for years, and I have forever been an avid animal lover. I watched ringside on a regular basis for 5 years, and talked to owner handlers at shows before ever stepping foot in the ring. I then was mostly self taught and I don't recommend it..lol. I've come a long way, but cherish every bit of advice I am given.

Does one see it as a lifetime commitment?
For me it is, I can't ever see myself stopping and if I want to leave a positive mark on the breed I don't think I can do that in just a few years.

What are your goals?
To develop a healthy line of Yorkshire Terriers that consistently produces well structured dogs with beautiful heads and coats that can be easily finished by owner handlers.

What have you learned from being in the ring?
SO MUCH!!! I don't know how anyone ever learns proper movement and structure without showing. I've learned so much I don't even know where to begin...and I am looking forward to learning more, more, more!!!

Do you have a mentor?
I do not have a mentor who has devoted to work with me and it has made it tougher, but I'm a good study. Every exhibitor around me has directly or indirectly "mentored" me. I have been blessed with many bits of advice along the way. I do have 2 good friends who have produced several BIS and BISS, top 10 dogs that have been my structure/movement mentors. They have taught me so much at the shows and I am grateful.

Do you take advice and tips readily?
Yes, I'm all ears! I will listen with an open mind to all tips and advice but I take what I think will work for me or my dogs and go from there.

Do you listen to the experienced exhibitors and value their knowledge?
Absolutely...does advice get any better than that?

Do you listen to tips from the professional handlers?
Yes I do.

Are you a visual learner or a hands on learner?
Both, I'm a pretty good mimick...lol. But it's always good to have hands on in this sport! You have to be able to do it if you want to play in the ring

Last edited by JaLaYorkieGirl; 08-22-2010 at 08:07 AM.
JaLaYorkieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!