Thread: The Exhibitor
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
What does this mean to you? I love to compete, and with the toy breeds it is so different than showing a large breed dog. This is one milieu where you get to meet the breeders and the fancy, and to share information and knowledge.

What type of yorkie is your showing preference (as there are many differences within the yorkie breed)? How did you aquire your first show yorkie? Through my trainer, who is also a breeder of Yorkies. I wanted a dog that would grow up to be a good performance dog, and not too surprising that the pup she had who she thought would be excellent in this arena also was a "show potential" and asked me if I would be willing to show this pup if he matured as hoped for. She is there for me in all aspects of training,care,and showing.

What are your expectations? To continue to learn and grow in the aspect of showing Yorkies. If my breeder needs help to show one of her pups in the ring, to support her in that aspect.

Knowing every dog has a fault what fault can you live with while showing?
This for me is the very hardest question to answer. I had to do that by the process of elimination; to me sound good structure, is a priority, as well as a balanced dog, temperament has got to be there, coat is important true silk, this leaves me with color. I think for me if the color is a tad light or dark I can live with that fault.

How did you get into showing? Answered above

Does one see it as a lifetime commitment? At this point not for the Yorkshire Terrier breed.

What are your goals? To finish my boy, to learn a new skill and to become proficient at it. To have fun in the ring and outside it. To learn all I can about this beautiful and fascinating breed

What have you learned from being in the ring? That it is as difficult to show toys as large breeds. That the handlers I admire and want to emulate the most are those that actually have fun in the ring with their dog, there is a je ne sais quoi, a way of showing their dog that just confidently say; this dog is the best I'm so proud of him, they also seem to present the dog's most pleasing sihouette.

Do you have a mentor? Yes actually a couple. I've also taken seminars on handling one absolutely amazing one day seminar, and several evening classes, and of course private lessons as well.

Do you take advice and tips readily? Yes but timing of them is important too.

Do you listen to the experienced exhibitors and value their knowledge? Very much so. In fact i often seek it out.

Do you listen to tips from the professional handlers? Yes and also judges and ring stewards.

Are you a visual learner or a hands on learner? My approach to learning is first to study and read up on the "skill" or art, to "watch" videos, to watch ringside and also to video the match (then review it for a number of factors),to take lessons, and finally of course to go into the ring to do it. For structure I learn first kinestically, hands on palpation and feel. For motor skills, I have to manually practice and practice.

Just a few questions I'm interested in....

Donna

Okay that's it for now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!