View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
Rhetts_mama
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiSpice2 View Post
Hey all, I recently took my dog Stella to the vet for 2 vaccines that she was due for (she is one year and 3 months old)...they gave her two at once (rabies and distemper). I took her home and that night she started acting funny. She was breathing heavy, running around freaking out, puffy eyelids, and shaking her head. I freaked out and took her to the overnight vet office and they said she had a reaction to one of the vaccines but of course don't know which since she had two. After researching I am guessing the rabies vaccine since that seems more common. I am a little upset at my vet for giving 2 at once when it seems they should have been separated by weeks. Also, she had a slight fever the day she got the vaccines but still gave her the shots. I feel bad I didn't educate myself prior to the appointment so I knew what was right but I trusted them. Stella was given a cortisone shot and benadryl shot to counter the reaction. she is currently taking benadryl. After investigating this I am very concerned for the next time she needs to get a vaccine (esp Rabies) and in PA there is no exemption available for rabies vaccines. Some websites also state that the vet should report any reactions but I dont think my vet did that. Is this something I should push for? Has anyone's dog went through this? Any advise appreciated!!! I am extremely worried about my dog since she still doesnt seem herself...her vaccines were given on Wed and today is friday. My vet said to wait 3 days but that seems like a long time...
Thanks for help!

At this point, it would be impossible to figure out whether it was a reaction to the distemper booster or the rabies. Vaccine reactions can occur following the first of 101st dose of any vaccine. Dogs can also be allergic to the ingredients and preservatives in the vaccines.

If she's having seizures now, the next reaction could be even more life threatening. Benadryl won't be enough in that case to help it or prevent it.

Mardelin is right when she says that you need to find a vet that recognizes the seriousness of this and agrees to give no more vaccines, period.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!