Thread: potty training
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 02:38 AM   #11
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltbrwsuga1
I love my Jasper, but when I was potty training him I also had a very hard time. I tried crating him, putting him on a schedule, even picking up his poop and moving it to his "spot" so he knew where to use the potty. The biggest problem I had is that he would sit by the door when he had to go, if I had no idea he was there I would find a nice aroma in the air sometime later.

Anyway, this may not be the best option for everyone and it has it's pros and cons, but I thought I mention it cause it worked for me. Based on a suggestion from a friend I bought 2 bird bells (medium size) and a ball of yarn. I hung these items on the front door as an "alarm" for the dog to use when he needs to go out. Working with his original potty times, I would touch his paw to the bells and say "outside" (my potty time keyword). It took about a week for him to understand it and sometimes he would just mess around with the bell, but now working with a schedule and the bells he knows that someone will let him outside to use the potty instead of getting scolded for using it in the house. He also stays gated in the kitchen during the day and doesn't potty because he knows no ones there to let him out if he rings the bell.

Like I said it's good if you have a problem with knowing when your dog needs to go out like mine did, and sometimes the bell will be used to just get outside rather than potty, but like I said there are ups and downs to every method. My dog is 6 months now and I starting using this method at 4 mons.

Good Luck with everything!
Welcome to YT!! WOW! If I could just teach Toto that trick ... I would just about be willing to let her pee pee anywhere she wants!!! Just kidding!! But that's amazing! Toto has actually trained to the wee wee pads a lot easier than we expected and it's so much easier for our lifestyle ... but it took lots of "trial & error"! These are the most amazing little creatures I have ever seen!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!