Thread: Second Dog
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
Vinniedoggy
YT Addict

The first thing you have to do is get them to spend time together in a positive way. This means giving them treats together (especially when they are behaving nicely) and going fun places together. This way, they will associate one another with POSITIVE things.

Second, you have to be patient. It will take some time for them to get used to one another. In the interim, make sure that you separate them whenever you leave the house.

Third, take LOTS of walks together. This will get them used to one another and will make them feel like part of the pack (so to speak). In my experience of having multiple dogs, nothing bonds dogs together like taking long walks.

Finally, make sure you feed them separately and ensure that you never leave food, treats, or toys laying around.

BTW, I am reading a great book right now - Through a Dog's Eyes by Jennifer Arnold. I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's a great book to read and she includes many good examples of how you can use positive reinforcement to get the most out of your furry little friends.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!