View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
DaniMarie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Embarassed Microchipping Questions and Poppy the sprinter!

You guys are my lifeline when it comes to owning a dog...so let me first say thanks because I ask a lot of "stupid" questions. I really do.

When we spayed Poppy, they offered the option to microchip and I knew absolutely nothing about it so I said "no, why put something in her body like that?".

She doesn't really like outside (I have no idea why, she's otherwise really happy)...so we don't go outside very often, she likes the comfort of her sofa and bed...and mommy's lap as opposed to the harsh outdoors.

I realized the other day I'm a bit comforted by the fact that she doesn't really like going outside because it keeps her safe, she's soooooo little compared to the scary world. I take her to visit family very often and put her harness and leash on and make her walk around with me.

WELL....the other day we were at my grandmother's and she has NEVER done this before, home or otherwise: Someone opened the door and she sprinted outside, looking back at me when she was about 20 feet away as if we were playing. I was SHOCKED. I almost cried because it scared me so much at what COULD HAVE happened.

Now I'm terrified. If she were to wander off, I would have no way to find her. I've never feared her wandering off before because ever since she was a puppy, she just didn't like playing outside...then in that moment *BAM* something went off and she decided she likes it. (she is a 1 year 4 months old, I got her at 10 weeks) So we've been going for more walks but now I'm really scared and would prefer to have her chipped, but do not even know where to start going about this. Do they have to be "out" to have the chip put in??? I obviously don't want to put her under dangerous drugs just to do this.

I've worked with cat rescues for my entire life and although I've seen many people chip their cats out of fear, I've NEVER ONCE had a cat run out on me. This dog is teaching me things and fears I never knew existed.

Also besides the chipping, since she's so much older now, how do I acclimate her to the "safety rules" of being outside? (Gosh even I don't know all the safety rules, all I know is she's so tiny and I'm so scared) She loves people and I'm pretty sure she'd trust any person that came along to give her attention, we visit friends and family and whoever the person is, she runs up excited to give them love and kisses). Do many dogs come into this preference later in life? Now that we're home, she is once again not interested in the least in being outside. I'm very interested to see if tries this move again when we visit my grandmother this week....but I've got my eyes on her!

Opinions???
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!