Thread: Second Dog
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

One day is not enough time to see how they will really get along. I would keep them separated (if they are fighting) by using baby gates, etc to keep them in separate rooms ~ but maybe still see each other.

I had a heck of a time getting my dominant Westie to accept little Lucy - but it finally did happen. I kept them separated for a few weeks - brought them together of an evening in a 'safe' room. No toys, bones, or food bowls were left on the floor. It was not a room we spent a lot of time in so Ringo didn't feel it necessary to guard everything. Start with a few minutes, then work up to an hour or more together.

Praise the dogs when they are getting along - getting along means good things happen like treats and walks.

I would not do the alpha roll as most people think it is outdated and has the opposite effect of what you are trying to accomplish.

For now, I would just quickly separate them both if a fight breaks out and don't worry about who the offender is. Just quickly separate them and don't make a big deal about it. Then try again later. Your dogs will have to establish their own pecking order and try not to interfere unless things get too rough. A lot of times it will sound much worse than it is. Of course, no one should be allowed to get hurt and absolutely no blood should be drawn.

Yes, definitely walk them together! This will help them form a bond.

Good luck and be patient. Remember, baby steps and baby gates!

PS: I was so sorry when I first brought Lucy home; things were so stressful at first. It took about a month for everything to settle down and now I love having two dogs. I still don't feed them together because Ringo would eat all the food; but otherwise, they get along great. I just don't want you to get discouraged.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!