Thread: Egg Recall
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I have a protein shake almost every morning, and I use raw eggs. At first I was using any old eggs, and then I got kind of sick a couple times (nothing like what's described above). I realized at that point that I was using old eggs. I hadn't cared much before because I always cooked the eggs. After that I got really paranoid and went to the other side of the spectrum.

I actually don't know what you mean when you say the eggs don't have dirt on them. Do you mean the stuff is grosser than dirt? I was told that eggs stay fresher when not cleaned, and they are cleaned to make them look more appealing. I assume you clean them before you use them, just not when they are stored.
The stuff is grosser than dirt, most of the eggs have poop on them. We cleaned them in a big vat that had heated water in it and it smelled similar to the way Cascade dishwasher detergent smells, so I'm guessing, it was a very strong type of cleaner that probably strips the shell of a little natural something that helps preserve the egg, but if the eggs are refrigerated quickly, this seems preferable to the poop that's all over them. Modern farmers may use something where the egg slips away after it's laid, but these chickens laid their eggs in their nests. I think you would always want to clean an egg before cracking it, especially if you are eating it raw; there is lots of bacteria besides the salmonella that can make you sick.

Join today and remove this ad!