View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Building toy Drive

What is toy drive? - It is where your dog, is just so excited to chase, retreive, play tug of war with that special toy.

Why bother to build this drive? - First and foremost in my mind is the stimulation it gives to your dog. Both physical and mental. It is a very very good way to bond with your dog. It also becomes a very coveted reward for good behaviour. It is immensely usefull both in obedience and all performance sports for your dog. In day to day life at home it can function as the supreme reward for good behaviour.

Do all dogs have an innate toy drive? No not really, depending on genetics, their parentage pups are born will little to lots of drive. But you as the owner can build this drive, with a bit of time day by day.

How do I build it? From the time you get your young pup at 12wks old or so, start to have very short play sessions on the floor with them. Have a selection of different toys around you. By selection I mean 3-5 different shaped and textured toys. For eg: a rope, a plush toy, a squeakie toy with a surface that is a bit firmer than your plush toy, a small ball (with or without sounds), a feather.
Now start to play with your dog. Pick up one of those toys, and make a Big deal out of it: Oooh and Awwh over it, put it to your face, sniff it, pretend to chew it. Your pup will start to get interested really fast. Then quick hide it. Under your arm behind your back, where ever. Before pup looses interests quickly take it out again. OOOOhhhh and AWWWhhhh again. Pup approaches, let them sniff it, some pups by now will just grab it and try to run away, and thats okay. OOOwww Pups name, come on bring it here, pup does immediately reward with treat.
These toys will be the very special toys that you keep out of reach of your pup.

As time goes by you will find of your selection the absolute most favourite toy of your pup.

Now you can start to train, come sit, stay, etc and the ultimate reward will be their fav toy.

Always finish play sessions, before pup tires of it. Get up put toys away, and let the pup see where you have put them.

In a week or two, that pup will be going to the closet or drawer or box, and just a begging for that toy. Great time again to do some training.

This is so much fun for you and your pup, and over the years you will bond so well together. All of us here love our dogs so much, but once you start to "work" with your dog an increased bond happens. I liken it to almost being able to read your dog's mind, and they yours.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!