View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
mrtyorkie
Yorkie Yakker

Default New to YT, New Puppy... Need some advice!! :)

Hi Everyone -

I first wanted to introduce myself to the boards. I have an adorable 12 week old male biewer yorkie, who I named Debit (yes, I'm an accountant). He joined my family 3 weeks ago. I grew up with animals my whole life (a toy fox terrier, then a boxer). However, he is the first of my very own!!

My husband and I have decided that we want to eventually train him to go outside. However, currently, due to his age, the fact we live in Manhattan, and he only has his first shot of three for vaccinations we have been having him use papers/wee wee pads in our apartment. This was working out great.... until last night.

We feed him three times a day per instruction from our vet and I make sure after he eats he goes in his pen to do his business, where his papers are. After, I then take him out for free time/play time. However last night and again this morning, even though he went to the bathroom on his papers, he still came out and marked on my carpet.

I have bought the book, how to train your dog in 7 days, however it says that I really can't begin crate/potty training until 16 weeks old. So in the meantime, I have been just cleaning up after him since I don't want to reward him for using the pads since he will eventually go outside.

So..... am I being too tough on him? Is this normal behavior? Do I have to wait until 16 weeks to begin formal training? Is it even possible that this behavior is marking at such a young age? I just don't want him using my entire apartment as his own personal potty for the next 4 weeks.....

He's a smart puppy. He already knows the sit and down command very well (he will do it even without a treat). But does display some dominant behavior like humping and intense biting. The humping has decreased some with the training and I'm working on the biting (we have good and bad days with that one).
mrtyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!