View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
lpham
No Longer a Member

It sounds like a case of separation anxiety. It's not good for him since he feels distressed and not good for you because you feel bad leaving him! He should understand that you are allowed to leave whenever you please. My yorkie is 6 mths and she is fine when I leave but I always crate her about 15 minutes before I start getting ready to leave the house.

Something you can do is not make a big deal out of it when you need to go somewhere. When you are getting ready to leave, go ahead and take your keys and put them in your pocket. If that is a signal for him, you need to desensitize him to it. Once you put your keys in your pocket, sit down for about 10 minutes and do something quiet like read or watch TV and then when you leave, don't tell him bye. Just quietly walk out the door. When you come back, don't immediately run to him and let him know that your back at home, then he'll just associate you leaving as a big deal. Give yourself about 10 minutes before you ackowledge him. Eventually that should really help with the separation anxiety.
lpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!