View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
KJLive
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Hi Jennifer and Welcome to YT! Congrats on your new silky and bless you for looking for her in a rescue.

Amount of kibble to be fed often depends on the food you are feeding and the dog.

If you look on the back of the kibble you feed there will be guidelines to the amount of food she should be taking in per day. Keep in mind though, that this is just a guideline. Some dogs will eat a bit more or a bit less.

I feed Taste of the Wild Roasted bison and venison. My dogs weigh 10, 6, and 3 lbs. Each of them eat about 1/2 cup of a kibble a day. And mine don't like just plain kibble either. They like a little "something" on top. Currently I shred freeze dried Stella and Chewy's Duck Duck Goose dinner on top and they gobble it up!

I feed their 1/2 cup daily allowance in two 1/4 cup intervals. Once in the morning when we get up and then again when i get home from work. Any kibble that is not eaten in the morning session remains in the bowl all day. Many of us here keep food available all day, and of course water should always be available.

If at anytime they eat every bite, I will still keep a little kibble in the dish just in case one of them gets hungry.

So with all that said, you can start out with something similar and adjust to your dogs eating habits. Some dogs only eat once a day. It truly depends on the dog.

I do advise a good kibble (nothing from the grocery store, please unless you shop at a high end store). There is a sticky on this site regarding food and the rating of the top brands of foods.

Good luck!

Last edited by KJLive; 08-17-2010 at 11:36 AM.
KJLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!