View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
danna
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Question Question on Yorkie Health

Okay several questions here, hopefully someone can help.
First time Potential Yorkie mom!
I have a Great Dane, Malamute and Hound X. After my grandfathers passing I found my calling in Dog Partners for Therapy. Unfortunately none of my dogs fit the personality profile for therapy work so that inspired me to look for another adoptee. I was intrigued by Yorkies because of my grandfathers love of the breed.
I have found and am "interviewing" a 4 year old un-spayed bitch. She weaned her puppies 5 days ago and has been with me for 2 days. I will have her spayed and get her teeth cleaned if she fits the profile. I have her for a week to two weeks to see how she fits in and if she will work.
Being unfamiliar with the Yorkie breed (I am doing research though of course) I have found a couple of things slightly unsettling and need to know if it is normal or do I need to be concerned:
1. She has somewhat wheepy eyes. (I have been cleaning her muzzle with a washcloth and grooming her muzzle hair to keep hair out of eyes.) Is this something that should concern me?
2. She is going through what seems like post-partum depression. Running around to different rooms constantly looking for something. Is there anything I can do to help ease her pain of giving up her pups?
3. It is incredibly hard to tell when and if she has gone to the bathroom. Of course, me having 3 giant dogs I'm used to some big time potties. The breeder who had her let all her yorkies use paper or outside if they want. I have tried paper and the great outdoors. Now this is going to sound bad, but I haven't actually seen her go to the bathroom once since I've had her. She is with me constantly and I give her every opportunity. I watch closely. Is it that hard to tell? She is eating and drinking normally by the way.
4. I am letting her sleep on the bed with me, my husband and my great dane. Is this a bad thing to do with a yorkie? I don't allow my other 2 dogs to sleep on the bed because of dominance displays.
I would greatly, greatly appreciate any advice on these questions. Please e-mail or post a reply. The breeder who gave her to me is unavailable right now because her husband has been on active duty over seas and just came home.
Thank you so very much.
Danna
danna is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!