View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0rk13s View Post
I took my 4mth puppy to the vet for reworming. I also got his 3rd shot. I asked vetenarian about giving him the full syringe.
She said it's not the size of the dog but the brand of vaccination shot. She gave him the full dose.
I noticed he was shaking at the vet but thought maybe he was cold. My lil boy continued to shake after we came home. HE was also in too much pain to be picked up and wasn't eating. I figured it was the shot and kept an eye on him. The next morning he still wasn't eating and threw up a yellowish liquid. He is doing fine now but this made me ANGRY because he was fine before I took him to the vet. I just can't take him back to that vet and think I should find another one.
Anyone have any thoughts on this??
I'm sorry your pup had this happen. I'm glad to hear he is doing better.....Your absolutely correct concerning the dosage of the vaccine being used on small dogs. Dr. Dodds ( who is one of the world's leading researchers of vaccines and adverse reaction) agrees wholeheartedly that the dosage of most vaccines is too large for a small dog. Which will increase the likely hood that a small dog will suffer adverse reactions from this......
But having said that I doubt you'll find a vet that will decrease the dosage for a small dog....

Vaccine manufacturers work off a "one size fits all" model for vaccines. A 140lb. dog will get the same dose as a 4lb. dog. Dr.Dodds says you can have the vet split the dose for a small dog, that it still works just as good as a full dose. The USDA told Dr.Dodds that the manufacturer makes the vaccine up to ten times more powerful necessary. Dr. Pitcairn warns, that "giving half of 100 billion viruses is still 50 billion." and will not prevent vaccine- induced illness.

I would like to also point out that a vaccine should be given alone, never on the same day as worming, administering heartworm products, flea products or when a pup is not feeling well or ill or when getting surgery......The vaccines should be spaced at least 3-4 weeks apart from any of this.......Not doing so increase the possibility and probability for an adverse reaction.......

If a combo vaccine was used that will also increase a reaction, in particular with a small dog.....A monovalent vaccine should be used......

The symptoms your pup had certainly does look to be connected to the vaccine. Adverse events may be associated with the antigen, adjuvant, carrier, preservative, or a combination .....

Vaccines are known by scientists to cause serious adverse reactions many (but not all) of which are listed below:
Immediately or up to 3 days after the shot:
Vomiting
Sore joints
Abdominal tenderness
Facial swelling
Fever or lethargy
Circulatory shock
Loss of consciousness
Death

You may want to look for a vet who is more knowledgeable about vaccines ( as in doing core and non- core vaccines) and small dogs, for his sake. Better still, find a holistic vet who’ll know how to vaccinate, or not vaccinate, without harming your dog and already use monovalent vaccines.....Good luck on your search.......

I just saw your post that you did have a vet who did recommend the smaller dose for your pup. You might want consider going back there.........

Last edited by jp4m2; 08-14-2010 at 06:51 AM.
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!