View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Need Opinion on Training Methods!!!

Ok YTers...
I just got back from meeting with a trainer, whom I'm pretty impressed with But I have a few questions....

So thier theory is that every dog no matter what thier size needs a job (which I agree with)

here's where I'm stumped. He told me that if you let him get up every morning and just get fed without having to work then he'll never be extremely motivated to work. Which I think is smart, however my concern is that my little guy is only 3lb, and really picky when it comes to treats and stuff. I don't think in any way that this guy wants me to starve my dog, cause he did say that with a small dog it doesn't take much to make them hungry, so I think he want's me to exercise him and just make him work for his food and feed him in more intervals rather than free feeding, to take away his dish and make him realize that food doesn't magically apear in his dish, that I'm the one who give him food?.?

I think that's what he;s getting at... Like he made a lot of good points, like if you got up every morning and your bank account just magically got 10,000 in it, then would you go to work? ie his food dish is his bank account. The other thing he pointed out was that if I throw an already hyper dog in a group obedience class, who has a full tummy and ask him to work by giving him a treat, would that actually do Harley, and I agree I don't think Harley is ready for a group class.

So I'm open to opinions...Help me find a trainer who I'm going to like???
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!