Thread: Anal glands
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieChick1 View Post
You know you are really not supposed to squeeze their anal glands it can cause problems instead of relieving them. If you have a groomer that does it too much it can actually give a dog an anal gland impaction. They are supposed to naturally empty when your pup defecates and if they scoot their butt on the carpet or grass that is also them expressing their glands. I never let anyone do it to them and never have had any problem with it.
I've never heard that??! I do Bella's now since I don't take her to be groomed anymore (I do that myself too!), but I only do it maybe once every month or maybe more like 2 (and she gets a bath every week or 2). I do feel them 1st to see if they need to be done...I don't just do it every time. Plus, I was told that a lot of times small dogs (Bella's 4 lbs) have a hard time emptying them themselves, and if I DON'T do it when it needs to be done, it'll eventually get impacted/infected/something?!

Anyway, if the OP still wants to know how, PM me and I'll try to explain it...it's super duper easy!! A vet tech my brother was dating showed me (she didn't actually do it, because we were hanging out in the living room, but she showed me where to put my hand and how to squeeze....it was very easy when I actually did it with her in the tub).
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!